Gas leak given as cause for NC 901 explosion

Published 8:36 am Friday, January 5, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

An explosion near the Davie/Iredell line on NC 901 Saturday evening was likely caused by a propane gas leak.

Davie Fire Marshall Cameron Webb said the building, behind a house near County Line Road, exploded, causing a loud noise and the earth to shake, prompting multiple 911 calls from neighboring areas.

Although the property hasn’t been occupied for about six months, caretakers said the building was heated by propane gas with baseboard heaters and a furnace, with the temperature set at 55. Earlier that day, Webb said that residents nearby had reported smelling gas, but the location couldn’t be determined. He said investigators believe the gas built up inside the building until it exploded, causing a fireball. When firefighters arrived, the roof had already fallen, helping to extinguish the flames.

One neighbor, about a quarter of a mile away, said they heard and felt the explosion, looked out the window and saw a huge fireball somewhere along NC 901. That fireball quickly disappeared, they said.

No injuries were reported.