Sports Briefs: North tennis completes undefeated season
Published 2:13 pm Tuesday, May 9, 2023
Soccer, lacrosse results
• Davie’s varsity soccer team has to be the unluckiest team in the Central Piedmont Conference. When the War Eagles fell short 2-1 at Mt. Tabor on May 1, it was their third one-goal loss to the Spartans, their fourth loss by one goal this season (they have no such wins) and their sixth loss in the CPC by one or two goals.
Emily Garner scored for Davie in the first half, and it was 1-0 at halftime. But Tabor struck twice in the second half and moved to fifth place at 4-6-1, one spot ahead of Davie.
Two days later at home, Davie couldn’t keep up with first-place West Forsyth, trailing 4-0 at halftime and falling 6-1. The Davie goal was by Lexi Kulis, who was assisted by Garner.
While the Titans (16-2-1) stayed perfect in the league at 12-0, Davie fell to 4-10-2 overall and 3-8-1 in the CPC.
• Davie’s lacrosse teams were ousted in the first round of the 4-A playoffs on May 2. The girls lost 17-5 at Cuthbertson. The fourth seed out of the CPC, Davie finished 6-9.
The boys went down 21-7 at Northern Guilford. After finishing fifth in the CPC, Davie closed its season at 4-11.
Tennis, track records
• North Davie’s boys tennis team, led by Brady Carter and Riley Mallory, completed a perfect season last week. Coach Morris Miller’s squad went 11-0.
• North Davie’s baseball team finished second in the conference tournament. First, the Wildcats pulled out an 8-7 barnburner over Ellis in the semifinals. In the championship game against Wesleyan Christian Academy, North took a 3-0 lead before losing 5-3.
• Davie tennis stars Bryce Bailey and Burke Rosenbaum suffered two losses in doubles in the Midwest Regional, but they also opened with two victories and did what they had to do to advance to the state tournament. The top four earned berths and the Davie duo finished fourth.
• Three Davie track records were broken in a meet at Davie on Saturday. Gracie Wilson threw the discus 118-11, breaking Lexi May’s 114-4 mark from 2019. The other two records were AJ Sweet’s 13-6 in the pole vault and Tyler Hill’s 1:58.7 in the 800.
Stories on all five of these teams/individuals will appear in upcoming weeks.
Davie LL golf tournament May 19
Davie Little League is holding a golf tournament to help support raising funds for its new Challenger field. The captain’s choice tournament will be held at Pudding Ridge on May 19. Lunch will be served for players between 12-2 p.m. For more information, contact Leigh Shenberger at 336-287-0305.
Davie softball camp June 19-22
The Davie softball camp will run June 19-22 for kindergarten through eighth grade. The camp for K-4 will be June 19-20 from 8:30-11:30 a.m. The cost before June 2 is $55; the cost after June 2 will be $80. The camp for 5-8 grades will be June 21-22 from 8:30-11:30 a.m. The cost before June 2 is $55; the cost after June 2 will be $80. For more information, email coach Nathan Handy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Davie boys basketball camp June 19-22
The Davie boys basketball camp will be held June 19-22 for rising third-ninth graders from 9 a.m.-noon. The early registration cost through June 15 is $100; the cost at the door will be $125. For more information, email coach Josh Pittman at email@example.com.
Davie girls basketball camp July 24-27
The Davie girls basketball camp will be held for kindergartners through rising eighth graders from July 24-27 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. The cost will be $100 if you register by June 24; $125 after that. For more information, contact coach Lindsey Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org.