Beautiful noise: Davie High hosts regional band auditions
Published 1:24 pm Tuesday, January 10, 2023
By Mike Barnhardt
What do you get when you put thousands of middle and high school students in a gym and tell them to practice their various musical instruments at the same time?
Noise. Beautiful noise.
There was plent of that going on at Davie County High School Saturday, as the school’s band program hosted students from across this part of North Carolina for the Northwest All District Band.
It took a small Army of volunteers to help keep all of the students fed and occupied, as well as judge their abilities on their respective instruments.
“First, I would like to thank everyone who volunteered to help this past Saturday,” Davie Band Director Matthew Brusseau said in an email blast on Monday. “There is no way that we could have possibly run the event without everyone who volunteered.
“As many directors, students, and parents said: ‘This is the best this has ever been.’ Thank you all for being passionate volunteers for our program.”
Twelve Davie High students qualified for the all-district band, with three becoming eligible for all-state honors.
All-state eligible students are:
• Jay Niland, second chair alto sax, grades 11-12;
• Ethan Price, second chair snare, grades 11-12; and
• Sean Lane, first chair timpani, grades 9-10.
Other all district War Eagle band members:
• Lizzie Rappaport, 7th chair clarinet, grades 11-12;
• Bonnie Taylor, first chair trumpet, grades 9-12;
• Drew Gledhill, third chair snare, grades 11-12;
• Brayden Brooks, 7th chair flute, grades 9-12;
• Fernando Rosas, 10th chair clarinet, grades 9-12;
• Paul Lynch, 10th chair trumpet, grades 9-12;
• Barrett Taylor, 6th chair horn, grades 9-12;
• Silas Marion, 5th chair trombone, grades 9-10; and
• Tyler Oldham, second chair euphonium, grades 9-12.
“I would like to congratulate all of the Davie students who took the time to prepare for All-District Auditions,” Brusseau wrote. “In looking at the scores, our students were some of the most prepared. I am very proud of each of you for your hard work, dedication, and being willing to push yourself.”