Respect: Nominate young person for $1,000 award
Published 11:33 am Sunday, June 6, 2021
Yes, they can be found.
In fact, they are all around us.
Creative and amazing young folks doing good, being kind and showing respect. Everyone knows one or more impressive young people who have caused us to know that the world is in good hands.
And, you can help bring their good work to light and make sure that others come to see and know what and who they are. The Davie Respect Initiative (DRI) is in its third year of searching out and supporting young folks like these.
Each of the new “Ambassadors of Respect” (AoR), has received an award of $1,000 and encouragement and support to keep on making a difference.
Starting in 2021, anyone can nominate a young person or DC youth group between the ages of 12-21 who is “Doing Good, Being Kind, and Showing Respect”. Each of the AoRs has given life to good ideas and put into place projects of all kinds which are serving to make Davie County an even better place to live.
Residents can make a difference by nominating such a wonderful example of youthful potential to become a new AoR. Here are some examples of the kinds of work and projects to support:
• setting up a buddy program for new students at school;
• planting a garden and donating the produce to the food insecure;
• creating a puppet show for children with terminal illnesses;
• assisting with feeding the food insecure;
• caring for animals at the Humane Society or a Rescue facility;
• creating beauty, through art, music, photography that is uplifting and inspiring;
•fundraising for a worthy cause;
• starting or participating in a program to encourage, listen to, or be a resource for fellow friends or classmates who are going through difficult times;
• mowing lawns or running errands for older adults or the disabled;
• growing a community garden or beautifying a school or public area; and
• organizing a park or river cleanup.
To nominate a young person engaged in this kind of activity, go to the Davie Respect Initiative website at www.davierespect.com and complete the nomination form.
The DRI will contact the young person that was nominated (nominators will remain anonymous) so they can fill out an application about their respect project or idea. Applications are then reviewed by the panel to determine who will be awarded the $1,000 check and become an Ambassador of Respect.