Halloween fun in Davie
No, Halloween isn’t canceled.
But don’t expect every home to be handing out candy on Saturday night.
Mocksville’s North Main Street will be open, so motorists are asked to be extra careful on Saturday evening. Some merchants in downtown may offer treats for the kids, and a DJ will play live music that evening.
There are some organized events planned for this season, so take advantage of one or more if you desire.
• Davie Little League is hosting a trunk or treat and home run derby at the Davie Youth Complex off Farmington Road near the schools, starting at 5 p.m.
Green Meadows and Blaise Baptist churches are sponsoring the trunk or treat at the Zach Wright Field.
The home run derby will be for adults and children ages 12 and older. The entry fee is $100, a tax-deductible contribution going to the youth comple. Bring your own pitcher or one can be provided. To register, email Jerry Riddle at Ridyourout@yahoo.com.
Special guest will be Atlanta Braves pitcher Jeremy Walker of Advance. The right hander spent time in Atlanta during the 2019 season, but missed the 2020 season because of an injury. “He’s actually going to be on site during the home run derby to encourage and support,” Kelly Wilson said.
• A Mega Trunk or Tret will be held Saturday from 6-8 p.m. at Fork Baptist Church, 3140 US 64 E., Mocksville. Each participant is asked to stay in their car, and each child will receive a bag of candy. Traffic will enter via Cedar Grove Church Road.
• Center Volunteer Fire Department, 2265 US 64 E., will hold trunk or treating from 5:30-8 p.m. Saturday. There will be a gun raffle drawing at 7 p.m., broadcast on Facebook Live.
• The Advance Fire Department will host a drive-thru trick or treat from 5-8 p.m. Saturday.
• True Hart Farm, 171 Knight Lane, Advance (off NC 801), will host a Halloween event Saturday from 1:30-4:30 p.m. with: face painting, petting zoo, crafts, bouncy house, best littles costume contest, critter treating at paddocks and stalls, treats, and best dog and animal costume contest.
• Drive-thru treats, Advance First Baptist, 1938 NC 801 S., 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Trunk or treat and chicken stew, Clarksbury United Methodist Church, NC 901, Harmony, beginning at 5 p.m.
• New Union United Methodist Church, Sheffield and County Line roads, Mocksville, will host a trunk or treat Saturday from 5-7 p.m. in the church parking lot.
• A jack-o-lantern trail will be open at the new Davie County Community Park on US 601 South in Mocksville from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Area kids have been carving the pumpkins for the past couple of weeks, and all will be on display that night. There is no fee. Davie Recreation & Parks will be handing out candy.
• Cognition Davie, 119 N. Salisbury St., downtown Mocksville, is sponsoring a Halloween Hootenanny from 9:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 31. Space is limited and pre-registration is required for one of the four 90-minute sessions. The fee is $10 for non-members, $5 for Cognition members. Visit www.cognitiondavie.org.
• The Davie County Public Library, 371 N. Main St., Mocksville, will be giving away baggies stuffed with fun activities and spooky fun on Friday, Oct. 30 from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• An outdoor movie Hocus Pocus, along with a children’s costume contest, will be held Friday, Oct. 30 at the Davie County Community Park. Admission is $5 per car, and pre-registration is required. Visit the Davie Recreation & Parks website at www.daviecountync.gov/700/Recreation-and-Parks, or call 336=753-8326.