Most schools meet or exceed expected growth
More than 80 percent of Davie County Schools met growth expectations in 2018-19, with almost half of those exceeding growth expectations. The NC State Board of Education was presented the accountability data for the 2018-19 school year at their October meeting.
Davie County Schools showed strong growth, with 82 percent of schools meeting or exceeding growth expectations. More than one third of schools (36 percent) exceeded growth expectations, compared to 27.5 percent that exceeded growth in the state.
Two schools had very high growth compared to other schools in the state, with William Ellis Middle School ranking 12th highest in the state for overall growth out of more than 2,500 schools. Mocksville Elementary School was in the top five percent of elementary schools in the state for math growth.
School Performance Grades are issued to each school and are based mostly on grade level proficiency (80 percent) with the rest made up of growth (20 percent).
Two schools, Cornatzer Elementary and Pinebrook Elementary, increased their letter grades from a C to a B. The rest stayed the same as previous years, with Davie County Early College High School earning an A, 50 percent of the remaining schools earning a B and 50 percent earning a C. The state reported eight percent of overall schools earned an A, 29 percent earned a B, and 41 percent earned a C. Remaining schools in the state (22 percent) earned a D or F grade.
Graduation rates for Davie County Schools were slightly down from 87.3 percent in 2017-18 to 85.7 percent in 2018-19. The state graduation rate is 86.5 percent.
“We are proud of the growth our students showed for the 2018-19 school year and applaud our staff for a job well done,” said Superintendent Jeff Wallace. “There is always an opportunity to improve, working towards even higher scores and an increased graduation rate. With hard work from students and staff, our focus is on continued growth and we are positioned well for 2019-20.”
Stay hydrated. At South Davie Middle School, it not only is much easier now, it’s also more environmentally friendly. Four... read more