Art contest open to middle school students
Published 9:25 am Thursday, February 15, 2018
Renegade Writers Guild will sponsor a juried visual art competition, a book cover art project called “Judge a Book by Its Cover” (JABBIC), for all middle school student artists who reside in Davie County.
The winner will be awarded $100 and the artwork will be the cover art for the Renegade Writers Guild book to be published summer, 2018. All proceeds from the sale of the book will benefit the Davie County Humane Society.
Information packets with registration form may be picked up on Saturday, Feb. 17 between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the history room of the Davie County Public Library 371 N. Main St., Mocksville. Information and form may also be obtained online at www.renegadewritersguild.wordpress.com by clicking on the 2018 Art Competition link on the main page.
Registration forms must be filled out and mailed to Stephanie Dean, 428 John Crotts Road, Mocksville, NC 27028.Registration must be postmarked by Saturday, March 3.
Art entries must be delivered in person on Saturday, March 31 between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. to the library.
To be eligible, student artist entering the art competition must be enrolled in sixth, seventh or eighth grades of public, private or homeschool. Students entering the art contest must reside in Davie County.
• The entry must be the original work of one student artist only and not a print.
• The artwork must exhibit originality, creativity, innovation, and quality.
• Subject matter for the cover: can include only one child, male or female, and at least one and up to three of the same or different animals from the following list: strawberry roan horse; coyote-wolf, wolf; Dalmatian dog; Irish setter dog; Alaskan malamute; Yorkie Terrier dog; alpaca; or goat.
• Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Appropriateness of subject matter is required.
• A student artist may submit up to three entries.
• Art must be on a gallery wrapped canvas, not matted and unframed.
• Art must be in color. The medium must be oil or acrylic.
• Must be securely wired, and ready to be hung. Artwork not properly wired will not be displayed after the competition.
• Artwork can be no larger than 8 inches (width) by 10 inches (height), portrait orientation.
• Student artist, or their representative, is responsible to deliver and pick-up their entry at/during the designated times.
• Student artist name and title of entry must appear on, or be attached to, entry for identification.
First place receives $100 and the art will be on the cover of the 2018 book by Renegade Writers Guild. Runner-up receives $50. All submitted artwork will be showcased during April at the Davie County Public Library in Mocksville.
The entries will be judged by four professional artists from Davie and Forsyth counties for originality, color, eye appeal, composition, perspective, and technique.