Man critical after stabbing

Published 9:20 am Thursday, September 14, 2017

A Yadkin County man was critically injured early Sunday morning after being stabbed at a residence on Farmington Road.

Gregory York arrived at Wake Forest Baptist Davie Medical Center at about 4:38 a.m. with multiple stab wounds, said Davie Sheriff J.D. Hartman. Two of the many wounds were serious, and York was taken to Baptist in Winston-Salem in critical condition. He was undergoing surgeries on Monday, and a portion of a lung had been removed.

What happened isn’t exactly clear, but officers were well aware of the residence where the alleged assault occurred. They had been there many times on assault and drug investigations, Hartman said.

York and the man who had taken him to the hospital, John Thomas, were not cooperative, Hartman said. Thomas was intoxicated, and York had what appeared to be some type of illegal drug clinched in his fist. It was sent for testing. Authorities thought it was meth, but it was green.

Thomas was charged on a warrant for failing to appear in court.

Authorities learned the incident had occurred at a residence on Farmington Road, and went there to question residents. No one would answer the door after repeated banging, Hartman said.

Investigators found blood outside the residence, and secured the outside while obtaining a search warrant. After it was obtained, those inside still refused to open the door so officers forced their way in, he said.

The investigation was difficult, Hartman said, because those involved told multiple, different stories of what had happened.

Inside, they found Kayla Bracken, 26, and a man in the living room. Both agreed to go to the sheriff’s department and be interviewed, where investigators determined that Bracken had stabbed York. The switchblade-type knife believed to have been used, which was found in the dishwasher, was used to stab York in the chest, stomach and back areas, Hartman said.

Bracken was charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. She was taken into custody in lieu of a $00000 bond, pending a appearance in Davie District Court.