KidsFest: Fun For The Whole Family Popular Annual Event Is This Saturday
KidsFest: Fun for the Whole Family will be held on Saturday, May 17 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Brock Gym and Masonic Picnic Grounds off North Main Street in Mocksville.
This free community event is co-sponsored by Smart Start of Davie County (SSDC) and the Mocksville-Davie Parks and Recreation Department. Funding assistance was provided by the Smith and Davis Foundation and an anonymous donor.
KidsFest will occur rain or shine.
“The annual Kidsfest is designed to be a day of fun, education and entertainment for the whole family,” said Gena Taylor, acting executive director for SSDC. “Smart Start appreciates the support of many people in the community and from other organizations that work together to make this event a success. Come spend a family fun day with us on May 17.”
Save time the day of the event by pre-registering. Visit www.daviesmartstart.org to access the link or find it on Facebook.
This will offer a host of interactive activities geared towards children and families. Some of the featured events include: Davie County Elementary Schools Combined Chorus, toddler and school age inflatable bouncers and slide, smokehouse, fire truck, and water mist station.
Interactive programs by Mad Science and Lowes Build and Grow can be found outside.
A magic show and balloons will be provided by Ryan Short throughout the festival.
Mrs. Cottontail and Friends will share stories and information about bunnies.
Jesse Stroud of Turning Point Family Services will provide a parent session on Building Blocks for Better Behavior (childcare will be provided inside the session).
The Davie YMCA will host areas to include face painting and an obstacle course.
Clemmons Bicycle will have a bicycle course emphasizing helmet and bike safety.
Everyone is invited to join in family zumba which will be provided by Krysta Gary.
Several representatives from community non-profits and service agencies will be hosting crafts, games and providing information to parents.
Raffle Tickets will be available for $1 each or 6 for $5. The raffle items include: gardening basket, Math Manipulatives, Build a Bear, Radio Flyer Scoot 2 Pedal , Radio Flyer Ziggle. Raffle tickets will be available until 12:45 with the drawing at 1 p.m. You do not need to be present to win. Proceeds from the raffle will benefit Smart Start of Davie County.
Discover what Smart Start of Davie has to offer. Some of the free programs and services include:
• Early Childhood Resource Center-The ECRC (Toy Library) is located in our office in Mocksville and provides:
• Interactive theme-based learning kits, big books and resource books are available to check out.
• A large selection of die cuts.
• Support for Child Care Providers-Financial education incentives and training.
• Childcare Subsidy-Scholarships through DSS for families to afford childcare.
• Imagination Library-Dolly Parton’s early reading program. Free for children 0-5 years and residing in Davie County. Children receive one age-appropriate book per month.
• Parents as Teachers (PAT)-Discover your role as your child’s first teacher through the Parents as Teachers program. Families of children 0-and 5 residing in Davie County receive one on one personal visits with a PAT-certified parent educator; information on how to support their child’s development and ways to manage challenging behaviors; and monthly group meetings on parenting topics.
• Reach out and Read-Smart Start partners with medical care practices to provide pre-literacy opportunities for children and their parents. During each of the well child visits, parents will receive a new, culturally and developmentally appropriate book to take home and read to their children. The program begins at the child’s 6-month check up and continues through age 5.
Contact Smart Start at 751-2113, visit www.daviesmartstart.org, find it on Facebook or come by the office at 1278 Yadkinville Road in Mocksville.