Candle causes house fire in Kannapolis
KANNAPOLIS – A dropped candle caused a Friday evening fire that severely damaged a Kannapolis home.
According to the Kannapolis Fire Department, crews were dispatched about 5:45 p.m. Friday to a house fire off Dale Earnhardt Boulevard near the Walmart shopping center.
Smoke was reportedly visible to approaching firefighters from several blocks away.
Fire crews arrived to find flames breaching the roof at the rear of the home.
Battalion Chief Josh Clay said that, although hose teams did enter the house, “evacuation was ordered based on the reports of high heat and zero-visibility type conditions.”
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. According to the fire department, a candle was dropped and rolled under a bed, igniting the mattress.
No injuries were reported to either the occupants or the firefighters on scene. Everyone living at the home had evacuated by the time fire crews arrived.
The American Red Cross is assisting the 8 occupants with temporary housing.
Concord Fire & Life Safety, Cabarrus EMS and Kannapolis Police also responded to the scene, while Landis Fire Department provided station coverage.
SPENCER — Looking for a way to spread some holiday cheer, a group of Spencer businesses are giving away free... read more