School Shower Inspected
Published 12:00 am Thursday, August 22, 2013
By Beth Cassidy
After allegations about potentially dangerous mold were made at the county commissioner’s meeting last week, Davie County Schools Superintendent Dr. Darrin Hartness contacted a health inspector, who has made recommendations regarding a locker room at the high school.
Hartness said County Manager Beth Dirks called him Tuesday afternoon following the Monday night meeting in which Randy McDaniel Sr. showed a photo of broken and missing tiles and possible mold on the wall of a boys’ locker room. McDaniel indicated the locker room should be closed and told county commissioners it was their responsibility to fix the issue.
Wednesday morning, Hartness said, he called the health department, and by 10:30, a health inspector conducted an inspection, concluding the trough drain in the shower needs to be removed, cleaned and recaulked.
“The health inspector also indicated that some tiles in the shower area need to be replaced to avoid standing water,” Hartness said. “The inspector found nothing that would cause the health department to padlock and shut down the locker room, as Mr. McDaniel requested of the commissioners.”
The locker room hasn’t been used since school was dismissed in June. The issues will be addressed before students arrive Aug. 26 …