Holy Cross celebrating anniversary this Sunday

Published 9:23 am Thursday, November 11, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

On Nov. 14, Holy Cross Lutheran Church will celebrate the 60+1 anniversary of the congregation at 1913 US 601 S., Mocksville. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, an anniversary celebration was not held last year.
The Rev. Kelly H. Moore, pastor, will share leading the 60+1 Anniversary Worship Service with the Rev. Dr. Tim Smith, Bishop of the North Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. At the 9 a.m. service, Smith will preach and assist with the distribution of Holy Communion.
Smith is a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill (M.A.), Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary (M.Div.), and Drew University (D. Min.). His ministry encompasses supervising 22 full-year seminary interns, serving as campus pastor at Appalachian State University, and being a featured preacher for Day 1 radio broadcast (formerly The Protestant Hour).
After serving several congregations, Smith was elected Bishop of the North Carolina Synod in 2015. He was re-elected for a second term in 2021. Smith and his wife, Wendy, have three children: Matthew (Keri), Isaaac (Lauren), and Ruth (Tommy). They enjoy spending as much time as possible with their grandchildren.
In the late 1950s, a group of Lutherans living near Mocksville was interested in establishing a mission here. Cottage meetings were held and Dr. F.L. Conrad, president of the N.C. Synod, was contacted.
On Jan. 11, 1959, a meeting was held at the Rotary Hut in Mocksville to discuss plans for a church. As a result, the Synod called Seminarian Boyce D. Whitener to work in Mocksville from June-August of 1959.
In the fall of 1959, it became necessary for the little group to find some other place for their services. The group moved to the old abandoned Cherry Hill Lutheran Church, off US 601 South of Mocksville. The building came with no conveniences such as plumbing or heating. During the fall and winter months of 1959-1960, regular services were held. Students from the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary preached. Choir rehearsals were held at the home of Edith Waller, pianist.
On June 1, 1960, exactly one year from the time the group started meeting, the Rev. Boyce D. Whitener was called by the Board of the American Missions as Mission Developer. In October, 1960 the group met and unanimously adopted the name Holy Cross Lutheran Church. This name was selected because it was easy to remember and at that time there was no other church in the Synod by that name.
On Nov. 13, 1960 at 2 p.m. the congregation was formally organized with 72 adult charter members and 23 child members. The official call to become pastor was extended to the Rev. Whitener on Dec. 4, 1960, to become effective on Jan. 1, 1961.
Original members who are still members at Holy Cross: Harold Chaffin, Tommy Chaffin, Becky Brown, Jim McBride, Ron Waller and Cynthia Sain (child member at that time). Tommy and Patricia Ward Chaffin were the first couple married at Holy Cross on the April 14, 1962.
Through the succeeding years, Holy Cross has been served by 13 called pastors. Many national, state, and community agencies and organizations have benefitted from this congregation. From meals, clothing, and household items for those less fortunate, disaster relief after tornadoes or hurricanes, participation in community events, to support of missionaries around the world, Holy Cross continues to be God’s presence in the world.