The Davie County Arts Council is offering a special opportunity to enjoy this holiday season with a “Holiday Homes Tour” on Saturday, Dec. 7 from 3-7 p.m.
There will be seven homes included. Three have sheltered several prominent families in the community.
The home owned by John and Elizabeth Bumgarner is one which could impress those who take the tour.
Designed by the Knoxville, Tenn., mail-order architectural firm of Barber and Kluttz for Dr. R.P. Anderson and built about 1903, this two-story dwelling makes use of rubble stone, weatherboards, and wood shingles. The house’s asymmetrical silhouette is formed by the juxtaposition of gables and towers. The interior is equally well-detailed.
Robert Poindexter Anderson (1868-1966) was the son of A. A. and Fannie (Poindexter) Anderson, members of the Anderson family of Calahaln in western Davie County. His father’s house stands today in that community.
Beginning at the age of 17, Anderson taught school in Yadkin County for two years and in 1888 entered the School of Dentistry at Vanderbilt University. He graduated in 1890 and returned to Calahaln to establish his practice. In 1892 he moved to Mocksville and located in the Presbyterian Manse.The following year Anderson married Flora Reed (1868-1966), a native of Forsyth County. They occupied a house which stood on the side of the present building.
From 1896 to 1901 the Andersons lived in Brownsville, Texas, and in 1901 they moved to Asheville. In 1902 they returned to Mocksville where Anderson practiced dentistry until his retirement in 1958. The Andersons made this their winter home after he retired; they died in Florida.
The house in Mocksville was sold at public auction to Bryan and Elma (Hendricks) Sell. The Sells, then Steve and Jamie Pharr, and now owners John and Elizabeth Bumgarner have completed extensive repairs to the house and maintained its integrity.
The Bumgarners found the house in 2006 while searching for an older home in North Carolina. Since moving in the house in 2007, they have enjoyed family celebrations and have entertained various groups. They both agree that this is a home to be lived in and enjoyed.
The home of Justin and Aubrey Draughn stands behind a double row of symmetrically placed hardwoods. This two-story asymmetrically massed dwelling is graced by an expansive wrap-around porch. The house was built about 1892 for Bedford Douglas Graham (1861-1921) and his wife Sallie (Howard) Graham (1860-1945). Mrs. Graham’s father, H.B. Howard, occupied the nearby Rose-Howard-Morris house. He sold the lot to his daughter on which she and her husband later built.
The Grahams sold their property in 1898 to O.L. Williams. Williams, a manufacturer of plywood and veneer in Mocksville, occupied the house until about 1918 when he moved to South Carolina. A number of subsequent owners included Walter F. Martin (1876-1956) who acquired the property in 1940. He and his wife Minnie (Wall) Martin (1881-1951) lived here until they died. Their daughter Janie Martin and Mrs. William Moore then occupied the house.
The Draughn family moved into the house in mid August, 2013. Since moving in a bath has been added to the second floor. It includes not only a marble shower but the floor is marble. They have added architectural features in the entry hall and dining room such as oversized crown molding and wainscoting.
The house belonging to Charles and Jane McAllister is another home that will be included on Saturday’s tour. It was constructed in 1925. Dr. Lester Martin and his wife, Helen Bahnson Martin (1899-1986), or Miss Helen as she was known, lived in the house until their deaths. The Martin nameplate remains on the front door of the house.
Dr. Lester Martin Sr. (1898-1963) was the son of Dr. Wilson C. and Frances Eaton Martin. He graduated from the Mocksville High School in 1914 and earned his bachelor’s degree from Wake Forest College in 1918. He received his degree in medicine from Jefferson Medical College in 1920.
A veteran of two wars, Dr. Martin served in the United States Navy in World War I as Hospital Apprentice First Class. During World War II he served as a major in the United States Air Force serving hospitals in the United States and the Philippine Islands. Following World War II he served as lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force Reserve.
Dr. Martin began the general practice of medicine in Mocksville with his father in 1923. Following World War II he specialized in eye, ear, nose and throat diseases.
Dr. Martin served as County Quarantine Officer for 14 years; County Coroner from 1933-1942; Director of the N.C. Tuberculosis Sanitarium 1936-1942; board member of the Davie County Welfare 1923-1936; and served as chair of the building committee of the former Davie County Hospital 1954-1956.
Dr. Martin was the first chief of staff of the Davie County Hospital when it opened its doors in March, 1956. Until his death on Oct. 28, 1963, he was interested in the operation of the local hospital.
He was a member of the Mocksville Masonic Lodge, joining in 1919. He served as Master in 1930 and again in 1941. He served as president of the Mocksville Rotary Club 1949-1950.
He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Association of Surgeons, the N.C. Medical Society, the N.C. Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Society.
Dr. and Mrs. Martin reared two distinguished children, Lester P. Martin and George Martin, who were born in the house. The home was purchased by Dr. Charles and Jane McAllister in the 1990s and they have preserved the features of the home.
Pre-sale tickets are available for $15; tickets will be sold for $20 on Dec. 7. Contact the Brock Performing Arts Center’s Box Office at 751-3000.